Are you wondering what to do with all the cucumbers that are growing in your garden, or just looking for a way to use fresh cucumbers at this time of year? This salad is sweet and tangy and takes just minutes to put together. I use my vegetable slicer to slice the cucumbers thin, so that the peel softens as it sits. You can adjust the vinegar and/or oil to get the tanginess you enjoy.
• 1-pound English cucumbers, unpeeled, very thinly sliced
• 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
• 1/3 cup red onion very thinly sliced or thinly sliced green onions
• 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
Toss the cucumber slices with the salt and sugar in a medium sized bowl. Let the cucumbers sit for 5-7 minutes. Add the onion and dill to the bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, pepper and olive oil. Pour the dressing over the cucumber mixture and toss to coat evenly. Let the salad sit for 10 minutes, then serve.