(LITTLE CURRENT, ON) – On May 10, 2021 at 10:07 p.m. members of the Manitoulin Detachment Ontario Provinical Plice (OPP) received information of a possible impaired driver on Highway 17, Baldwin Township.
The officers located the vehicle in question a short time later in Espanola. Upon speaking with the driver, it became apparent the driver was displaying signs of impairment. The driver was arrested and transported to detachment for further tests. The driver was also in possession of suspected cocaine.
As a result, Misty PLUME, 42-years-old of Wikwemikong, was charged with:
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the Purposes of Trafficking (Two Counts), contrary to section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substance Act (CDSA)
- Operation of a Motor Vehicle While Impaired by Drug, contrary to section 320.14(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC)
- Obstruct Peace Officer, contrary to section 129 of the CC
- Drive While Under Suspension (Two Counts), contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA)
- Start From Stopped Position – Not in Safety, contrary to section 142(2) of the HTA
- Fail to Yield From Driveway, contrary to section 139(1) of the HTA
- Drive Motor Vehicle with Open Container of Liquor, contrary to section 32(1) of the Liquor Licence Act (LLA)
- Drive Vehicle with Cannabis Readily Available, contrary to section 12(1) of the Cannabis Control Act 2017
Christian GAUVIN, 37-years-old of Espanola, was also arrested and charged with:
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the Purposes of Trafficking (Two Counts), contrary to section 5(2) of the CDSA
- Having Liquor in Open Container in Other Than a Licence Premises, Residence or Private Place, contrary to section 31(2) of the LLA
Both of the accused persons are scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Espanola on July 19, 2021.
If you see a driver you suspect may be impaired by alcohol or drugs, contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or *OPP (677) on your mobile phone. Your call could make our roads safer for all.