(ESPANOLA, ON) – On October 11, 2020, at approximately 1:25 p.m. members from the Manitoulin Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were responding to a report of people trespassing at a property on Foster Drive in Espanola.
Police attended and investigated the driver of a motor vehicle at that location. Police determined that the driver had been consuming alcohol. After further investigation, the driver was arrested and brought back to Espanola detachment for further testing.
As a result, Pierce TRUDEAU, 25-years-old, of Wikwemikong Unceded Reserve First Nation, was charged with:
- Operation While Impaired – Blood Alcohol Concentration 980 plus), contrary to section 320.14(1)(b) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Enter Premises When Entry Prohibited, contrary to section 2(1)(a)(i) of the Trespass to Property Act (TPA);
- Have Care or Control of Vehicle or Boat with Cannabis Readily Available, contrary to section 12(1) of the Cannabis Control Act (CCA);
- Novice Driver – B.A.C. Above Zero, contrary to section 44.1(3) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA); and
- Consuming Liquor in Other Than Licenced Premises, Residence or Private Place, contrary to section 31(2) of the Liquor Licence Act (LLA).
The accused was released on an Appearance Notice and also on several Provincial Summonses and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice on December 14, 2020, in Espanola.
The accused was issued a 90-day Administrative Driver’s Licence Suspension (ADLS) and the vehicle was impounded for seven days.
This charge marks the 49th driver charged under the Criminal Impaired Driving Laws in the Manitoulin OPP Detachment area in 2020.