(SABLES-SPANISH RIVERS TOWNSHIP, ON) – On December 24, 2020, at approximately 11:22 p.m. members from the Manitoulin Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were conducting traffic enforcement on Highway 17, Webbwood, in Sables-Spanish Rivers Township.
Police stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation. Further investigation was conducted and police determined two of the occupants were breaching a condition of their court order and release conditions. Police also seized a quantity of drugs suspected to be Crack Cocaine.
As a result, the driver, 36-years-old, from Massey, was charged with:
- Speeding – 1-49 Km/h Over Posted Limit, contrary to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA), and
- Driving While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the HTA.
The driver was issued two Provincial Summons and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in March, 2021.
Passenger, Justin SOLOMON, 37-years-old, from Sudbury was arrested and charged with:
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine, contrary to section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA), and
- Fail to Comply with Release Order, contrary to section 145(5)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC).
Another passenger, Amelia ABITONG, 26-years-old, from Sagamok Anishnawbek First Nation, was also arrested and charged with:
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine, contrary to section 5(2) of the CDSA, and
- Fail to Comply with Undertaking, contrary to section 145(4)(a) of the CC.
A final passenger, Katrina TOULOUSE, 28-years-old, from Sagamok Anishnabek First Nation, was charged with:
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance – Cocaine, contrary to section 4(1) of the CDSA.
All three passengers were released on an Appearance Notices and are scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice on February 1, 2020, in Espanola.
The vehicle was impounded for 7 days.