(ESPANOLA, ON) – On January 9, 2021, at approximately 12:17 a.m. members from the Manitoulin Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were conducting traffic enforcement on Highway 17, Sables-Spanish Rivers Township.
Police stopped a motor vehicle for a Highway Traffic Act (HTA) violation. While conducting the investigation, police determined the driver was found to be prohibited from driving, a suspended driver and had outstanding warrants. Police also seized approximately 33 grams of suspected cocaine, approximately 30 grams of suspected purple fentanyl, a weapon (push dagger), and a quantity of Canadian currency all totaling approximately $19,795.
As a result, Jimi CARRINE, a 41-year-old, from Spanish was arrested and charged with:
- Operation While Prohibited Under the Criminal Code – contrary to section 320.18(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC) (two counts),
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000 – in Canada, contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC,
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose, contrary to section 88 of the CC,
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order, contrary to section 733.1(1) of the CC,
- Failure to Comply with Prohibition Order, contrary to section 162.2(4) of the CC,
- Trafficking in a Schedule 1 Substance – Opioid (other than Heroin), contrary to section 5(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA),
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance – Cocaine, contrary to section 4(1) of the CDSA,
- Speeding 50+ Km/hr. Over the Posted Limit, contrary to section 128 of the HTA, and
- Driving While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the HTA (4 Counts)
The accused has been remanded into custody pending a bail hearing.
The vehicle was towed and impounded for 45 days.