The CORONAVIRUS REPORT for Wed., Feb. 3/21

Algoma Public Health is reporting two new cases of COVID-19 and is asking people who may have visited the Tim Hortons at 43 Causley Street in Blind River to get tested if they show any symptoms.

The agency advises anyone who visited the franchise on January 30th or 31st from four am to 12 noon and February 2nd from eight am to 12 noon to self-isolate and if showing symptoms, get tested right away.

The agency emphasizes it is a low-risk scenario with both positive cases in self-isolation.

Franchise owner Denis Lefebvre says the franchise location has been cleared to reopen by the health agency, but he has decided to keep it closed for 14 days to ensure the safety of his staff and customers.

He adds the restaurant has been cleaned and sanitized top to bottom and also fogged with a COVID-19 disinfectant.

Lefebvre adds the Blind River Esso location is open from 6 am to 5 pm.

There are 21 active cases in the Algoma District with two people in hospital.

Public Health Sudbury & Districts is reporting one new case in Greater Sudbury and considering resolved cases, there are now 73 active cases in the agency’s jurisdiction.

Health Science’s North is reporting a decrease with 13 people hospitalized.

Seven patients have been confirmed as having the virus with two of those people in intensive care.

Six admitted patients are still waiting for test results.

 

A delicate position …

Canada’s chief medical officer of health says our country is in a “very delicate period” in the battle against COVID-19, as variants of the coronavirus begin to spread more widely.

Doctor Theresa Tam says at least 148 cases of the U-K and South African strains have been identified in Canada so far, and many seem to have no connection with travel, meaning they’re likely spreading through the community.

Tam says even though COVID-19 numbers are trending downwards in Canada, these more-contagious versions are a sign that health authorities will have to be cautious about relaxing the current restrictions on movement and assembly now in place.

 

School or not …

Parents of schoolchildren in areas where schools are still closed will find out later today when they might see a return to in-person classes.

Education Minister Stephen Lecce says he’s awaiting the latest medical advice, and will make an announcement today.

The province’s chief medical officer of health, Doctor David Williams, is hoping to meet the target date of February 10th.

But he says that depends on whether the community transmission rates of COVID-19 continue to fall, and whether protective measures are in place.

This entry was posted in Local, News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *