The CORONAVIRUS REPORT for WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3, 2020

The numbers in Ontario

For the fourth day in a row, our province has recorded an increase in the daily number of COVID-19 cases.

Provincial health officials listed 446 new diagnoses yesterday.

The spike comes two weeks after the Victoria Day long weekend, and the move to allow more retail stores to open for customer visits.

So far, almost 29-thousand people have been diagnosed with the coronavirus, 78 per cent of those cases are now considered resolved.

Another 17 deaths were announced, bringing the toll, so far, to almost 23-hundred.

More than 70 per cent of the fatalities have occurred in long-term care homes.

 

Emergency extended

As expected, the legislature voted to approve an extension of the state of emergency until June 30th.

Former Conservative MPP Randy Hillier voted against the motion after visiting a small anti-lockdown protest at Queens Park.

Premier Doug Ford says he’s disappointed with the Independent member’s move saying he  should know better.

 

Investigating long-term facilities

A second investigation in as many days has been launched into conditions at long-term care homes across the province.

The Office of the Patient Ombudsman says it’s received more than 150 complaints about the standard of care.

In a statement, the office said complaints from residents, family members and whistleblowers pointed to a crisis in Ontario’s long-term care facilities.

On Monday, the Ombudsman’s office announced it would be investigating as well.

The situation at long-term care homes came under heavy criticism in a report from the Canadian Armed Forces, whose members were assisting staff at five residences in Ontario.

 

Federal pandemic spending

The federal government plans to shift billions of dollars in pandemic spending to cope with an unexpected surge in the number of people applying for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

The government had estimated that the program, which pays up to two-thousand dollars a month to those whose jobs have been affected by the coronavirus, would cost 35-billion dollars. But so far, more than 42-billion dollars has been paid out and more than 8.3-million people have applied.

This entry was posted in Local, News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *