The COVID REPORT for April 29-2021

Public Health Sudbury & Districts reports second death in as many days

Public Health Sudbury & Districts says a second person has died of COVID-19 in as many days.

Out of respect for the family, no other details are being released.

This brings the number of people who have died from the virus in the health unit’s jurisdiction to 27 since the pandemic started.

The agency is also reporting there are no new cases yesterday, leading to a decrease of active cases to 81.

Health Sciences North is reporting that there are 32 admitted patients, 22 confirmed and ten waiting for test results.

Of the 32, nine individuals are in intensive care.

Algoma Public Health states they have four new cases.

Considering resolved cases, the district now has 38 active cases with two individuals hospitalized.

Ontario order amended

Ontario is making some changes to patient care in the province’s hospitals as it tries to keep up with the soaring number of COVID-19 patients being treated.

Health Minister Christine Elliot announced yesterday hospitals can now move patients who no longer require hospital care to long-term care or retirement homes without getting the go-ahead from the patient or those making decisions for them.

She adds every effort will be made to ensure these patients are fully immunized from COVID-19 before moving.

 

Licensed day care works can book vaccinations
Licensed child-care workers across Ontario will be able to book their COVID-19 vaccinations as part of Phase Two of the province’s inoculation program, to protect those at risk.
Health Minister Christine Elliot says keeping child-care open is critical to the physical and mental well-being of Ontario’s children.

The province is also allowing those 45 and older in 114 postal-code hotspots to begin booking their vaccinations today.

Neither Algoma Public Health nor Public Health Sudbury & Districts are designated as COVID-19 Hot Spots.

 

Paid six days in Ontario … for three days

We’ll finally be getting a program of paid sick days in Ontario….but it will only last to the end of September.

The Ford government will introduce legislation today that will provide for three paid days off for those who fall ill with COVID-19, have symptoms, have a mental health issue, or who need to take time off to be vaccinated.

The maximum benefit will be 200 dollars a day.

But it’s only a temporary program…..expiring in five months.

Labour Minister Monte McNaughton says the move will save lives.

But critics say it’s not nearly enough.

NDP leader Andrea Horwath says she fears workers who are exposed to COVID-19 won’t be able to afford to take off the 14 days required for self-isolation.

Last week, Premier Doug Ford promised “the best program anywhere in North America.”

 

Bankruptcies are down

Our province’s fiscal watchdog says the number of bankruptcies actually declined last year, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Financial Accountability Office notes that there were increases in the real estate, cultural and recreational, and educational services industries.

But high levels of government assistance, low interest rates, and the willingness of debt holders to delay payments all helped to keep the overall rate of insolvencies down.

It warns, though, that levels may increase as government support is reduced.

 

Risk of death is same as being struck by lightning

The head of the McGill University medical centre in Montreal says the risk of death from blood clots after taking the AstraZeneca vaccine is still far lower than the dangers of contracting COVID-19.

A 54-year-old Quebec woman is the first Canadian to die of the rare condition.

But Doctor Marc Rodger says the risk is just as great as being struck by lightning at some point during your life.

Rodger says the risk of clots is far greater if you come down with COVID-19.

 

Bill passed to deal with port strike

The Liberals were joined by the opposition Conservatives early this morning, as the Commons passed a bill that forces an end to a strike by dockworkers at the Port of Montreal.

The flow of goods came to a halt Monday morning when more than 11-hundred people hit the picket lines.

The Trudeau government says the walkout would cost our economy as much as 100-million dollars a week, and affect hundreds of thousands of jobs across the country.

The Senate is due to take up the bill tomorrow.

This entry was posted in Local, News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *