The COVID REPORT for March 26-2021

A look at the local numbers

Health Sciences North has had a big jump in the number of admitted patients for COVID-19.

The hospital is reporting there are now 49 individuals admitted to hospital with 21 confirmed with the virus, the rest waiting for test results.

And, of the 49, nine people are in the intensive care unit.

Public Health Sudbury & Districts is reporting a COVID-19 death occurred on Thursday but are releasing no further details.

The agency is reporting 20 new cases of COVID-19, 19 in Greater Sudbury and one in the Sudbury District.

Considering resolved cases, this brings the total of active cases to 319, the highest it has been since the pandemic started.

Most are believed to be caused by close contact and outbreak associated.

And Algoma Public Health is reporting one new case in Sault Ste. Marie and area.

The case is attributed to close contact with the individual self-isolating.

Considering resolved cases, there are 18 active cases in the Algoma District with no one in hospital.

 

Precarious position

Ontario’s deputy chief medical officer of health says we’re in a precarious position.

Doctor Barbara Yaffe says daily numbers of new COVID-19 cases continue to rise as do hospitalizations and the number of admissions to intensive care.

As well, the more-contagious strains of COVID-19 now make up more than half the new diagnoses across the province.

Even though vaccinations are increasing, Yaffe says we’re not yet at the point where we’re safe from the virus.

The rising numbers have prompted calls from some health experts to tighten restrictions on movement and assembly.

The cabinet will meet today to discuss the issue and any changes in health unit restrictions will be announced later this afternoon.

Teachers don’t want virtual learning to be permanent

Ontario’s Teachers’ unions say plans to make on-line learning a permanent part of the educational system will lower educational standards in the province, and harm students.

Education Minister Stephen Lecce told Vista National News last week that the “overwhelming” response he’s had from parents is that they like having an on-line option.

What form that will take is expected will be detailed in the coming weeks.

But the Elementary Teachers Association says on-line learning was meant to be a temporary measure to cope with pandemic lockdowns.

The Ontario Secondary School Teachers Federation says the move flies in the face of the government’s position that the most important type of schooling is in-class learning.

This entry was posted in Local, News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *