THE COVID REPORT  for May 25-2021

A look at the local numbers
Algoma Public Health is reporting two COVID-19 deaths which occurred over the holiday weekend.
The health unit says the two are the fifth and sixth individuals to pass away in the Algoma District since the pandemic began.
The agency extends its condolences to family and friends and is not releasing any further information.
The health unit also reports six new cases of the virus over the holiday weekend, four in the Sault Ste. Marie area and two in the Elliot Lake area.
Considering resolved cases, there are 38 active cases in the district with three people in hospital, including two individuals not from the local area but receiving medical treatment.
Public Health Sudbury & Districts is reporting eight new cases over the last four days, all in the Greater Sudbury area.
Considering resolved cases, there are 31 active cases within the health agency’s jurisdiction.
The agency is also reporting one outbreak at the Discovery Early Learning and Care site in Garson and all parents have been notified.
Health Sciences North has 17 admitted patients as of the holiday Monday, seven who have tested positive and ten awaiting test results.
Of the 17, three are in intensive care.

 

Waiting for provincial numbers

The big question medical experts are asking today is will we see another spike in COVID-19 infections in another two weeks?

Two days of results will be released later today.

On Sunday, officials reported just under 17-hundred new diagnoses, pushing the seven-day rolling average of new daily cases down to its lowest level since late March.

But there’s always been a surge in new infections about two weeks after every holiday during the pandemic.

Vaccination clinics continued at full speed throughout the long weekend across the province.

So far, more than eight-million doses have been administered

 

U.S. advises no travelling to Olympics

U-S officials are advising Americans not to travel to Japan for the Olympics this summer, as that country deals with a surge in COVID-19 cases.

Tokyo, the headquarters for the postponed games, is currently under a tight list of restrictions to battle an outbreak in infections, restrictions which may have to be extended past the end of May.

So far, only those Japanese 65 and older have received a COVID-19 vaccine and there are no plans in the works to inoculate other age groups.

The games, put off from last summer due to the pandemic, are scheduled to begin July 23rd.

 

Virus lottery gets nixed

Ohio’s governor is hailing the results of his state’s “Vax-a-million” lottery.

Mike DeWine says more than 2.7-million people have signed up for their COVID-19 vaccination, and a chance to win one of five weekly prizes of one-million dollars.

But fellow Republicans say it’s a frivolous use of taxpayers’ dollars.

They’ve introduced legislation to cancel the lottery, and, instead, spend the money on help for small business and improved youth mental health services.

This entry was posted in Local, News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.