The CORONAVIRUS REPORT for FRIDAY, JANUARY 15, 2021

Algoma Public Health and Sudbury & Districts reports cases

Algoma Public Health is reporting eight new cases of COVID.

Five are due to close contact, the other three are unknown.

Seven cases are from Central and East Algoma and one case is from Elliot Lake and area.

All are in self-isolation.

There have been three new cases of COVID-19 reported by Public Health Sudbury & Districts.

The agency says all three cases are in self-isolation in the City of Greater Sudbury.

There has been three resolved cases, so the agency states there are now 73 active cases within its jurisdiction.

 

New variant seen in most recent death

There are 7,563 new COVID-19 cases and 154 deaths in Canada.

The new numbers include a case of the South African variant of the virus which has been discovered for the second time in our country.

The new variant case was found in British Columbia’s Vancouver Coastal Health region.

The first case was reported last week in Alberta.

It doesn’t appear the new case had been traveling or been in contact with someone who travelled recently.

An investigation is underway to see how the case was contracted.

Canada now has a total of 688,891 COVID-19 cases and 17,537 deaths.

 

Vaccine arrival slated for April

It’s expected Canada will receive one million doses a week of the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID 19 vaccines come April.

The military commander in charge of Canada’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution and logistics, Major General Dany Fortin, says April will be the “Ramp-up” month when it comes to vaccine numbers.

He says the country is expecting some 20 million doses delivered to provinces and territories by June.

 

Big Box Blitz

Officials say a big-box store blitz is set to start in Ontario.

It will begin this weekend in Toronto, Hamilton, Peel, York and Durham and will then be expanded province-wide.

Ontario’s Minister of Labour, Training and Skills Development says he wants to send a message to big corporations that he will not hesitate to shut them down if COVID-19 rules are not followed.

Nearly 50 ministry inspectors along with bylaw and police officers will be focusing on high-risk settings the next few days.

The blitz will begin in businesses with COVID-19 outbreaks and will move on to manufacturing, warehouses, food processing plants and grocery stores.

This entry was posted in Local, News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *