This recipe contains some fall favourites. It makes a large casserole for a group. It’s also a perfect and healthy dish to prep for weekday lunches. Feel free to season it to your taste.
Harvest Chicken Casserole
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for
• 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 onion, chopped
• 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
• 1 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth, divided
• 6 c. COOKED wild rice
• 1/2 c. dried cranberries
• 1/2 c. sliced almonds
• Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9”-x-13” baking dish with oil. In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook until golden and cooked through, 8 minutes per side. Let rest 10 minutes, then cut into 1” pieces.
• Heat another tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion, sweet potatoes, Brussel sprouts, garlic, thyme, paprika, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup broth, bring to a simmer, and cook, covered, 5 minutes.
• Place cooked rice in a large baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Stir in chicken, cranberries, cooked vegetables, and remaining 1/4 cup broth. Top with almonds and bake until dish is hot and almonds are toasted, 15 to 18 minutes.