Welcome to Local Hippie’s weekly tip for living a greener life! Each week we will provide you with a quick tip to help you reduce your carbon footprint and change the world.
“Leave No Trace” Living
Mother Earth can be severely impacted by outdoor enthusiasts if we’re not careful. This is why I find it best to live with a “Leave No Trace” mentality. What does that mean? Simply put, it’s a call to leave the earth unaltered and in its natural state after an activity such as camping, hiking, or biking. A few ways you can do this are:
1. Use existing trails and campsites to preserve natural and
unaltered plants and habitats.
2. Deal with your waste properly by keeping it contained
for the duration of your stay and then bringing garbage
and recycling to designated waste disposal areas.
3. Wash your dishes with biodegradable soap and scatter
strained dishwater 200 ft away from lakes or streams.
4. Use established fire rings or pits for campfires and do not
bring firewood from home that may introduce an invasive
5. Leave what you find – rocks, plants, and wood – as they
are integral parts of the area’s ecosystem.
6. Preserve the past by not touching cultural or historic
structures and artifacts, but by looking at them with your
7. Respect wildlife. Observe from a distance, do not
approach, and do not feed.
Have questions or comments? Feel free to forward them to email@example.com
Have a happy hippie week!