Township of the North Shore celebrating 50th anniversary

By Rosalind Russell – Although the Township of the North Shore has plans in place to celebrate its 50th anniversary of incorporation as a municipality, the local settlements are much older.

The residents will be hosting celebrations on August 12th, but according to Samuel de Champlain’s map of 1632, Spragge was a site where Indigenous people met annually while artifacts have been discovered in the gravel ridges along Lake Huron in Algoma Mills indicating the influence of the Voyageurs.

In 1860, Alfred Lauzon built the first mill directly on top of Lauzon Creek and in 1870, Alfred Gunn bought the six-hundred-acre property from the Crown for $40.

Algoma Mills became the CPR’s major coal delivery port for the Algoma District from 1905 to 1910 and in 1927, the CPR station closed and Algoma Mills became predominately a resort community.

Amalgamation as a township took place in 1973.

That heritage will be celebrated with a full day of activities at Lake Lauzon Beach and Algoma Mills including family activities, a Shania Twin tribute artist and entertainment.

Photo: The Township of North Shore is all set to celebrate its 50th anniversary of amalgamation as a municipality. Poster provided. 

This entry was posted in Local, News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *