(ESPANOLA, ON) – One person has been arrested and charged with drug and weapon offences in Espanola.
On October 18, 2023, shortly after 4:00 a.m., members of the Manitoulin Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a noise complaint on Marguerite Street in Espanola.
Upon police arrival, a person was located attempting to start an all-terrain vehicle.
Further investigation revealed that the individual was in possession of a loaded handgun. A search was conducted and led to the seizure of over 137 grams of suspected cocaine and over 10 grams of suspected crystal Methamphetamine. The estimated street value of the drugs seized is over $14,000. Police also located over $1,500 in Canadian currency.
As a result of the investigation, Douglas WEIR, 37-years-old, from Baldwin Township has been charged with:
- Possession of schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking – cocaine
- Possession of schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking – Methamphetamine
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Possession of a firearm knowing serial number has been tampered with
- Occupant of motor vehicle knowing there was firearm
- Carrying concealed weapon
- Knowledge of unauthorized possession of firearm
- Possession of a prohibited device or ammunition – two counts
- Possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammo
- Use unauthorized plate
The accused was held in custody and is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Sudbury on October 26, 2023.