(SAGAMOK FIRST NATION, ON) – One person has been charged with impaired driving following a call for service in Sagamok First Nation.
On September 23, 2023, shortly before 3:00 a.m., members of the Manitoulin Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a call regarding a vehicle being taken without consent.
Police were able to identify the person, who took the vehicle, which had been involved in a single vehicle motor vehicle collision, and that the driver had consumed alcoholic beverages.
As a result of the investigation, Danika TOULOUSE, 18-years-old, from Sagamok First Nation has been arrested and charged with:
- Operation while impaired – alcohol and drugs
- Operation while impaired – blood alcohol concentration (80 plus)
- Novice driver – Blood Alcohol Concentration above zero
- Class G1 licence holder – drive at unlawful hour
- Person under 19 years consuming liquor
- Fail to report accident
The accused was released from custody and is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Espanola on November 6, 2023.
The driver was issued a 90-day Administrative Driver’s Licence Suspension and the vehicle was impounded for seven days.