My sister made these bagel balls with her kids the other day and recommends I try them. She said they were really easy to make and super delicious. I picked up the ingredients and am anxious to make them this weekend. Thought I’d share the recipe so you can try them too.
Stuffed Bagel Balls
• 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s not expired, or it won’t rise)
• 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (use less if using table salt)
• 1 cup Greek yogurt (not regular yogurt, it will be too sticky)
• half package cream cheese, cut into 8 cubes
• 1 egg, beaten
• optional toppings: everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds,
poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes
Preheat oven to 375F. Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away). Divide dough into 8 equal balls. Flatten each ball into circles, then place 1/2 tablespoon cream cheese on each. Fold the dough over the cream cheese and roll into a ball. Repeat with the remaining dough. Top with egg wash and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice if desired. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before eating.